AnneGG

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Oil, or "When I heard it was for awareness, that sealed the deal . . ."

I don't have much to say on the topic of oil, oil production, or world oil supply, but since it was mentioned in my last post, and since my blog is already waxing liberal, I might as well provide a little bit of cud to chew. Here's one article on a recent meeting of oily minds re: "The End of Easy Oil":

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11119213/site/newsweek/

This, I'd say, is pretty accurate-to-overly-optimistic, since it's mainly based on quotes from the oil companies and their cohorts.

On the other side of the spectrum, here's a bit of info on catastrophe scenarios predicted by some scientists or other scholars. First, a Wikipedia article about "The Long Emergency," a book which predicts that the end of easy oil is basically the end of life as we know it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Emergency

and another on the Olduvai Theory, which predicts that the industrial civilization will have a lifetime of less than a century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peak_Of_World_Oil_Production
_And_The_Road_To_The_Olduvai_Gorge

The Olduvai Cliff Stuff doesn't seem to be totally supported by the data (for example, so far the period from 2000 to 2011, whatever it has been, hasn't resembled the Great Depression, at least not for America). But it is interesting. So, "happy" reading.

3 Comments:

Blogger brd said...

Let's declare an emergency and get it over with. I would love it if my company (i.e. The University of TN) would declare an emergency and let me work from home 4 days per week. That would save me 80% on fuel costs each year. Quite a savings. I believe the crisis is at hand. I am willing to act like it.

Meanwhile, I stumbled on a song that your dear husband left as a time bomb on my computer. It is called "After All" by Dar Williams. All I can say is, "Wow." It tackled me at the knees and knocked me flat.

7:22 AM  
Blogger The Crabby Hiker said...

Oh my! I should have introduced you to Dar Williams ages ago! I will send you some music. She is one of my favorites, and Jeff just happened to steal that song from me ;-)

It does knock you flat, doesn't it? Every time I listen to that song, I remember some of the things I want to be, and the things that are possible.

How gas-efficient was your kia, by the way? I know a hybrid might be impossible, but you might be able to justify spending a bit more on a fuel-efficient car, based on the gas savings alone. . .

7:32 AM  
Blogger brd said...

I have looked at your fuel economy site and have found that four cars compete for top rank in the small car category (after hybrids). The Kia Rio is one, and Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Accent, and the Scion XA Ugly.

As soon as the insurance adjuster get through with me I'll do some more investigation.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home